Hello everyone and greetings from Memphis, TN!
My travel lathe-cutting business, MobileVinylRecorders.com just left New Orleans, where we were cutting records for the Isley Brothers at Mardi Gras, and we've got a few days to kill until our next gigs in Charlotte, NC, so we are stopping through and visiting some friends in the South and checking out the sites like Sun Studios, Ardent, etc. Next stop Nashville, then Charlotte.. If you live in one of these locales, and want to hang, hit us up!
Lots of stuff coming up in the next few months, but here is a small taste that is available NOW!
1. Social Media stuff: If you follow any of my many ventures (Mobile Vinyl Recorders,Lathe Cuts, PIAPTK, Soild Gold, etc) online, you probably have noticed that we have not been super prolific on all the many Social Media platforms. But, I've recently hired my buddies from BabyGasMaskRecords.com to not only handle my order fulfillment, but also to help me keep up with Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. I feed them content and they distribute it as appropriate. So PLEASE do us a favor and follow us. We are seriously on an upswing all of a sudden and things and we are trying to really make a go of it, and YOU can help. Follow us here:
Twitter: @PIAPTK @Lathecuts.com @MblVnylRcrdrs
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/piaptk, https://www.facebook.com/soildgoldrecords, https://www.facebook.com/lathecuts, https://www.facebook.com/mobilevinylrecorders
Instagram: @PIAPTK, @Lathecuts, @MobileVinylRecorders
2. Mike Watt: Mountain Mystery CD-Record: Mike Watt is my oldest "Rockstar Encounter" experience from when I was 15. He is one of the most genuine dudes, and incredible artists that independent and punk rock has ever produced, and I am ridiculously excited to be able to work with him (and we have another project in the works!). But first up is the next release in the CD-Record series. This one is with Mike Watt and the Secondmen covering "Mountain Mystery" by Helios Creed. We also have some other incredible artists coming up soon, so stay tuned. Pick up Mike Watt's CD-Record HERE.
3. Bed Rugs - Two Lapse 8" Pic Disc - Bed Rugs are only the second band I've ever released from a demo. I love getting demos, but I'm always WAY too backed up with my friends' records to work with bands I don't know. They emailed me and asked if I'd be interested and I (in a much nicer way) said "probably not, but send it over and I'll check it out"... I did check it out and said "YEAH, I'll release THAT!" So, here it is! One long psych jam called Two Lapses on a one-sided 8". We hand-cut the protective plastic away in the shape of the band name from the back of the record and peeled it away. Then my four-year-old daughter and I hand dipped them in paint and we cut the grooves onto the front side. Ltd to 75 copies. Pick one up HERE.
Also, Bed Rugs is throwing a secret PIAPTK party on March 26 in Antwerp, Belgium and they've got a bunch of these records and some exclusive PIAPTK swag bags... so, you know, for the two of you on this list in Belgium, you should go and pick one up! Hit me up if you want the coordinates.
4. Grey Waves Handmade Artwork 7"s - Grey Waves is Jesse Hughey and Eric Judy (Modest Mouse). This is their debut release and is limited to 300 copies. A little over 100 of these have unique artwork made by over 30 different artists. For the most part, these designs are limited to one or two copies. Some are collaged, oil painted, water colors, silkscreened, etc. Many of these were displayed at art galleries in Seattle, Portland, and Olympia, but we have about 40 of the handmade ones to sell through PIAPTK.
They are limited to about one copy per design, and you can choose which design you want, so don't sleep on this... they are all REALLY great. There is also a less expensive, standard full color printed cover which is also limited, only 200 copies. Pick them upHERE.
5. Salesman - Let's Jump Into The Fire 7" Lathe cut - Our buddies from Austin are back with a new single, this time, it's PIAPTK's first single on Square, WHITE, lathe cut. Double sided, with two new excellent jams and water colored labels. While you are at it, don't forget to pick up a copy of Salesman front man, Devin James Fry's debut solo album on cassette! DJF Tapes HERE and Salesman 7"s HERE.
6. Surfer Blood - 1000 Palms Tape - In conjunction with our partner label, Joyful Noise Recordings, we are thrilled to release the cassette version of the new Surfer Blood album, 1000 Palms. THIS IS A PREORDER ONLY AND WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE UNTIL MAY! PLEASE ORDER THIS SEPERATELY FROM ANY OTHER ITEMS IN THE STORE OR YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE ANYTHING UNTIL THE MAY RELEASE DATE! That being said, preorder a copy (only 250 on blue tapes) HERE.
7. Forest Fallows - At Home Cassette and CD-Record Album- Forest Fallows are an incredible band from Tucson (that happen to live next door to me). Their album will be co-released on vinyl with Joyful Noise in about 6 months, but until then, we've got their masterful reverbed out chill psych classic on cassette and CD-Record (full album + bonus groove jam). Check them out here: https://soundcloud.com/forest-fallows. Pick up the CD-Record or Tape HERE
Hello everyone and greetings from Memphis, TN!
We are ridiculously proud to present Soild Gold - 000004: Scott McMicken's "IT".
"IT" is the first solo album from Dr Dog songwriter/singer, Scott McMicken! This album was recorded a while ago and was originally intended to be released as a cohesive unit, but was eventually partially pieced out for Dr. Dog bonus tracks on various albums and singles. But, this marks the first time that it appears in it's entirety, as originally intended, and on vinyl.
Limited Edition of 200 Lps and 100 Cassette Tapes sold.
LPs on Goldenrod Vinyl and Cassettes on Gold tapes.
35 Gold with Red and yellow rim Splatter vinyl will be sent to random purchasers.
Includes a poster with art by V. Cessna.
Test Pressings: Do you like test pressings? We have 3 test pressings
to be given away in a raffle. To enter the raffle, use the "pay what you
want" option and enter a value (over $15) that includes change. Eric has
chosen a number between .01 and .99, and the first three people to pay a value
with that change amount, win the test pressing. For example, if Eric chose $.02
(hint: he didn't), and you paid $15.02, you win a test pressing. You have the
same chance of winning whether you pay $15.02 or $250.02... However, if you
throw in a little extra, it will be used to buy beers and hummus for the record
packing party we hold when we receive each release from the pressing plant.
Soild Gold 3 Pack - New to Soild Gold? Can't believe you missed the first two releases? Well, they are both almost sold out, but we have twenty 3-packs available at a discount!
And while you are at it, don't forget to pick up the Scott McMicken CD-Record (that plays on your turntable and in your CD player).
Arm of Roger - The Ham and It's Lily LP (Soild Gold)
Mike Watt - Mountain Mystery: CD-Record
Sonny and the Sunsets: Dimestore Novel CD-Record
Salesman - Lathe Cut 7"
DOHM (Money Mark + Patrick Keeler (Raconteurs/Greenhornes)) Conjoined Triplet 6-Sided Records.
American Monoxide/Wight Lhite Cassette/Lathe Cut Sandwich.
Bed Rugs 10"
The Golden Boots Announce Vinyl Rarities Store: Golden Boots are one of the bands that PIAPTK has worked with the most with over the years. We’ve done over 20 releases that they were a part of. They are also probably the worst band on the planet about bringing merch to their shows. So, when I moved to Tucson a while back and walked into Ryen’s house, I saw a shelf with almost every artist copy of every release I’ve ever given them sitting on it. Things that people have been begging me for over the years, but were long ago sold out.
Now, they’ve finally made the stash available to the public at http://goldenbootswebstore.limitedrun.com. They’ve even put together a few 3xLP boxsets comprised of the three main LP albums they’ve released on vinyl. Other items available include: 5” X-ray Pic discs, Blunderlust 10” (both versions), Bland Canyon Adventure 10” (with paint set), “The Microphones, Golden Boots, Paleo and Bishop Allen Collaborate with a 1940’s Wire Recorder 7” (all versions), The “Days Before The Tow” Lost 7”, Hand-colored LABRYYYNTH Wrecking Ball Swirl Paint 7” lathes, WCKR SPGT Tributes, “Golden Boots/Flaspar/Andrew Jackson Jihad split CDs”, The Man In Me Lathe Cut Heart Shaped Lathe Cut Picnic Plates that were given away at my wedding, and even some handmade artpieces. They only have between 1 and 5 copies of most of these, so if you have been looking for something, now’s the time to break out the two dollar bills your grandpa included in the weird religious Christmas Card he sent. Pick some up here: http://goldenbootswebstore.limitedrun.com
Thanks as always!
Mike and PIAPTK
PIAPTK is excited to announce that we have partnered with one of our favorite labels, Joyful Noise Recordings! And I have been hired by JNR as a Physical Release Strategist and Creative Concepts Director.
This means a significantly larger platform for the freaky, weird, packaging and vinyl formatting that you have come to know and love from PIAPTK. With that comes huge budget increases, more time that can be allotted to research and development, increased exposure, and collaboration of ideas that will allow both labels to really expand, artistically, and continue to push the boundaries of physical media.
It also means wider distribution for our pressed vinyl releases and additional exposure for our family of artists. PIAPTK has always existed for two reasons: 1) to serve as an outlet for my own brand of conceptual art and 2) to attempt to bring the amazing music that my friends are making to wider audiences. And this partnership will be a huge leap forward in that evolution.
If you are not already familiar with Joyful Noise, they are an incredible label based in Indianapolis, that has released records for many of my (and probably your) favorite artists. Half Japanese, Sebadoh, David Yow, Don Caballero, Deerhoof, WHY?, and countless artists through their flexi singles subscription series. In an industry that is mostly known for shady business practices and exploitation of artists, Joyful Noise is transparent, honest, and very straight forward with their fans and their bands. Their creative approach and attention to the tiniest details of their releases, has always been an inspiration to me, and I can’t wait to bring my own weird touch to their operation.
You will probably begin seeing my fingerprints on many of their releases very soon. In the meantime, please go check out www.JoyfulNoiseRecordings.com to see all the great things they are doing right now!
Thanks as always!
This happened a while back, but I never posted it, and it is a pretty good summary of what I do here at PIAPTK.