Dang. It’s been a busy spring, followed by a really hot Arizona summer, and we have a LOT of news. Most of the below are PREORDERS. Some are ready to ship, some aren’t. They will ship out as soon as I possibly can, but please be patient for a week or two.
1. SoildGold-0002: Floating Action – Research LP and Tape
2. SIX-SIDED RECORD from Dimitri Manos’s American Monoxide (Dr. Dog/Golden Boots/LABRYYYNTH).
3. Transparency Picture Discs from Wooden Wand, Simon Joyner, and Bent Shapes.
4. 3-D lathe cut from Briana Marela
5. Cassettes from R. Stevie Moore, Devin James Fry (Salesman, Lord Buffalo), and VA Olympia Covers 2008 Comp.
6. New Distro Items from Wooden Wand, Analog Ghost, and Orindal Records.
1. SOILDGOLD-00002: FLOATING ACTION – RESEARCH LP & TAPE
The first appearance on vinyl of the Floating Action cult classic record, Research. Seth Kaufman, the one-man behind the band, is this generation's Harry Nilsson. Widely appreciated and championed by some of the biggest names in modern music (My Morning Jacket, Band of Horses, Black Keys, Dr. Dog, even Lana Del Rey), Kaufman has yet to gain the worldwide notice he deserves with mainstream audiences.
The vinyl reissue of Research is a precursor to the new Floating Action record, Body Questions, which will be available from New West Records on August 26th, which is incredible, and will no doubt be just what he needs to get people's attention.
As usual, these are on Goldenrod vinyl and limited to 200 copies sold. 35 lucky (and random) purchasers will receive the Goldenrod with Blue dots vinyl.
Like all Soild Gold releases, there is also a raffle to win one of three test pressings, details on the site.
While you are at it, don’t forget to pick up one of the last copies of SOILDGOLD-00001, Eric Slick’s Out of Habit.
2. AMERICAN MONOXIDE’S “FUCKED UP SOUNDS FROM A HAUNTED WORLD” SIX SIDED RECORD – This is by far my favorite record I've ever made. It is the product of many hours of experimentation, measurements, blind luck, and dumb jokes being made real by sheer force of will.
This is, however, no longer a joke. This is the WORLDS FIRST real 5 holed record with SIX "SIDES" that plays.
This Six "Sided" 10" record is composed of six distinct groove rings. Each side has a Venn Diagram of Groove in the middle and a short ring on the outside of the 10". As the grooves of the Venn Diagram cross, they make a little chirping sound. They will usually not skip, but you may need to adjust your tonearm weight and anti-skating a little. Dimitri specifically composed a 16 minute sound collage with this chirp in mind.
Each Great Six Sider 10" is somewhat unique, in that the rings were cut using an unspecific portion of Dimtri's composition and were then locked off into locked grooves when the ring ends. No rings or locked grooves are the same.
Comes in a picture disc mylar sleeve with an oversized transperency cover.
3. Transparency Picture Discs:
a. Wooden Wand and Simon Joyner Tour Pic Discs: Two records that I made for the Simon Joyner/Wooden Wand Spring Living Room Tour. I only have 35 of each for sale. Wooden Wand - School’s Out
Simon Joyner – Train To Crazy Horse
b. Bent Shapes – Bridgeport Lathe/86’d in 03. Incredible Power Pop single with 2 songs from Boston band, Bent Shapes. Comes in three color schemes. 25 made of each.
4. Briana Marela – I Don’t Belong To You 7” – Briana Marela is an old friend from Olympia. About a year ago, she approached me to cut some records for a tour she was doing. She and I brainstormed on the artwork and came up with a pretty beautiful concept that included multiple layers of transparencies and transparent labels to add a 3-dimensional feel to the artwork of Danielle Burton. While cutting the first run of 30, I regretted not releasing it on PIAPTK. Musically it is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. When she approached me about getting a few more made, I insisted on making it a PIAPTK release and she agreed. So here is the concept: Artwork is comprised of a front and back transparency and a front and back label. Each one has a unique image that fits together in layers to make a beautiful 3-dimensional scene. The song I Don't Belong to you appears in two versions on this square, clear, 7" lathe cut
Side A: I Don't Belong To You: This version has backwards synths and frontwards vocals
Side B: I Don't Belong To You: This version has backwards vocals and frontwards synths. PLAYS FROM THE INSIDE OUT. Each side sounds incredible and gives an entirely dynamic to the tune.
5. CASSETTES: After years of threatening to start releasing more cassettes, we finally made good (in a small way). All Cassettes include digital downloads.
a. R Stevie Moore – Saturday Singles Club – A cassette issue of all songs featured on last year’s R Stevie Singles Club Lathe series.
b. Devin James Fry – Headwater Songs – A killer solo album recorded by Salesman frontman (and Lord Buffalo drummer). Recorded live from start to finish with help from Salesman drummer, Clayton “Guns” Lillard.
c. VA-Covers Cassette – This was a cassette originally “semi-released” by Electricity and Lust Records, but besides giving a few copies to a handful of the bands, it really hasn’t ever seen the light of day. I got about 18 copies from Michael Ryan (of E&L). All tracks (mostly Olympians) were recorded live through a buzzy old SUNN mixer into a tape deck in MR’s living room.
Edmond Lapine: Bo Diddey (Bo Diddley)
Firs of Prey: Oh, Comely (NMH)
Miniature and Presidential: Chocolate Jesus (Tom Waits)
Jordan O’ Jordan: Pancho and Lefty (Townes Van Zandt)
Twig Palace: Keeping the Wolves From The Deer (White Magic)
Christopher Francis: Nikki (The Dream)
Bob Schwenkler: Waiting For A Superman (Flaming Lips)
Warm Ghosts: Degrassi High (The Zits)
Shannon Steele: Wear Your Love Like Heaven (Donovan)
Die Geister Beschuonen: Tiny Island (Leo Kottke)
Leah Onre Ng: See That My Grave Is Kept Clean (Leadbelly)
Ben English: Sweet Thing (Van Morrison)
Emily Beanblossom: Marin (Inflatable Boy Clams)
6. DISTRO ITEMS:
a. Wooden Wand – Blood Oaths of the New Blues LP – Killer 2012 Record from Wooden Wand on Fire Records.
b. Casiotone For The Painfully Alone – In Sydney LP – Great Live Show from Sydney, Australia.
c. VA – Comfort and Joy – Christmas Comp – A fantastic Christmas compilation featuring Jason Lytle,Golden Boots, Wooden Wand, Quasi, Rob Crow, Music Tapes, Mike Watt, Terry Riley, etc. On silver and gold speck vinyl!