Things in the world of record cutting have been insane recently… we had MobileVinylRecorders.com gigs in NOLA (cutting the Isley Brothers for Mardi Gras!) Charlotte, NC, NYC, and Paris, and it looks like we will be down at Austin Psych Fest cutting some of my patented multi-hole art records for one of my oldest favorite bands, The Flaming Lips! But, in between all of these trips, I’ve also managed to whip up a new batch of releases (with a lot more in the works!)
DOHM – "FREE" is the debut release from DOHM (Money Mark (Beastie Boys/Beck/Mike Watt, etc) + Patrick Keeler (Raconteurs/Greenhornes/Afghan Whigs). This SIX SIDED Record is comprised of 3x 4" records joined together. Each one has unique sections of a 36 minute live set recorded in South Central LA. Each side has about 2 minute snippets that end in unique locked grooves. No 2 discs are the same. Includes a download of the entire set. Pick it up here. And while you are at it, pick up the American Monoxide 6 sider (different design).
Jad Fair – “Stick” b/w “This Time” Square Lathe Cut with HAND DRAWN (and numbered) covers by Jad. Jad Fair of Half Japanese is legendarily weird. He’s been making envelope-pushing music for almost 4 decades. I made these for his upcoming Euro tour with Normal Blake. He got half and I got half. Keep an eye out for his CD-Record coming soon! Pick it up here.
PIAPTK T-Shirts – We’ve got some new t-shirts featuring a technical drawing of our beloved Presto 6N record lathes made by Marina Cornelius of Acorn Bcorn. Available in retro heather blue or retro heather grey. Available in BIG sizes as well. Pick it up here.
Reptar – Lurid Glow Cassette – as part of our partnership with Joyful Noise, we will be releasing select JNR releases on cassette. This one is from Athens, GA’s Reptar. Includes the album in MP3. Pick it up here
Lathe Cut Camp – I get emails almost daily from people wanting to get into record cutting. So, in response, I’m giving folks the chance to see what it REALLY means to be lathe troll. The first ever Lathe Cut Camp! Spend three days in scenic Tucson, AZ learning (almost) everything you need to know about DIY Record Cutting! The focus of this camp will be on mono "semi-professional" machines, with particular focus on Presto 6Ns, which are one of the most common and affordable vintage machines around. You can do some amazing things with these incredible machines, and I will show you how. Bring your own music and we will put it onto discs for you to take home. We will touch on professional record mastering/pressing, but my main interest and experience, and the focus of this camp will be on the more DIY and experimental side of the hobby. There are only 8 spots available, so buy early! Check it out here.
- New Stuff in the Golden Boots Rarities Store - The Golden Boots have been playing a lot of shows and working on new recordings, and are continuing to crank out items for their store to help pay for it all.
Golden Boots T-Shirts - a great new design celebrating their home state of AZ. Comes with a hand-picked sampler featuring a lot of rare and unheard tunes.
Handpainted covers - Ryen has been busy making some more unique and handpainted covers for DBX'n'SPF.
- Upcoming Releases:
- Jad Far – CD-Record
- Sonny and the Sunsets – CD-Record
- Forest Fallows – At Home LP
- Built In Sun – The debut LP from the new super group featuring: Pall Jenkins (Blackheart Procession/Three Mile Pilot/Ugly Casanova), Joe Plummer (Modest Mouse/Shins, etc), and Richard Swift.
- Spaceface – Up in the Clouds – Cloud Shaped Three Sided art record
- American Monoxide/Wight Light – Cassette/Lathe cut combo
- Grandaddy – Arm of Roger “The Ham and It’s Lily” The legendary practical joke record from Grandaddy is seeing it’s first “official” release, and it’s only time on vinyl through Soild Gold. And true to Soild form, there will only be 300 copies! This will be gone FAST.
- Briana Marela Multi-Hole Art Record.
- Jeremiah Green (Modest Mouse) Multi-Holed Art Record
8. Interesting Recent releases:
- Mike Watt – CD-Record
- Grey Waves (Jesse Hughey + Eric Judy (Modest Mouse) – unique covers made by 50 artists 7”
- Forest Fallows “At Home” cassette and Lathe Cut Album CD-Record.
- American Monoxide – Fucked Up Sounds Six Sided Art Record
- Bed Rugs – Psychedelic marble painted 8” lathe cuts
- Salesman – Let’s Go Jump Into the Fire lathe cut
- Surfer Blood 1000 Palms cassette (Preorder)
Thanks for wading through this tidal wave of information. As always, your support is greatly appreciated. Even if you can’t buy anything right now, spreading the word always helps!
Thanks! Mike & PIAPTK